Thursday 28 August 2014

Over Exaggerating of Weather and Disaster events - South Africa

I am rather concerned that weather predictions, forecasts, observations and disasters are being over exaggerated at times. Lately I observed the words massive and intense being used literally for every cold front passing by. I observed many examples where the worst scenario is being predicted or expected only to find later that it was a minor event. I am rather hesitant to exaggerate any event just to gain more publicity, hits, friends, followers, make money or for that matter any other reason in doing so. Over exaggerating posts is a very dangerous practice as the public will become reluctant to respond when a real severe weather incident occur and prior action is needed. Lately I also observed comments by the public: "they got it wrong again; I do not follow them or will not respond; Their forecast are useless" Do you think that this is indeed the case? Do many groups, organizations, private persons exaggerate predictions, forecasts and observations?

- SAWXREP + MSBWX